Resources are provided with this practice
Complement external work experience opportunities your school offers with internal work experience to provide students with opportunities for a greater range of and more frequent work experience.
Work experience is a valuable experience for all adolescents, but research indicates that it is especially important for students on the autism spectrum, who may experience:
- difficulty imagining their life beyond school
- challenges with understanding the big picture about work
- anxiety about transition from school to work.
- provides ideas for internal work experiences to complement existing school work experience programs
- accommodates students with a range of different interests and capacities
- aligns with the Australian Curriculum: Work Studies.
This practice will help students to
explore a career of interest
develop reflective thinking
This practice will help teachers to
promote career exploration
support transition planning
scaffold work experience