Resources are provided with this practice
Adolescents on the autism spectrum benefit from having a champion in their transition planning team.
- takes a leadership role during the student’s transition planning
- supports the student practically and emotionally by providing additional training, one-on-one coaching, and advocacy
- can be a teacher, parent/carer, or another person agreed on by the student and team.
Having a champion in the process of planning for life after school may also benefit all students, not just those on the spectrum.
The purpose of this practice is to:
- help teachers to establish transition planning teams
- help students to identify their champions.
This practice will help students to
build a supportive team for transition planning
experience coordinated home–school support
This practice will help teachers to
establish coordinated home–school support
support students with transition planning