Resources are provided with this practice
For students on the autism spectrum, thinking about their special interests is an important first step in career exploration and transition planning.
Starting early with transition planning and considering students’ interests in planning helps to:
- reduce anxiety about what comes after school
- improve transition outcomes.
This practice provides opportunities for students to:
- explore career interests based on the school subjects they enjoy
- explore career interests through research activities
- present their research findings in different formats.
This practice will help students to
explore career interests
connect with the real world
develop research and presentation skills
This practice will help teachers to
promote big-picture thinking
promote career exploration
help with transition planning